Monday, September 21, 2015

Faith is a choice

This week was pretty good!

Monday: Sister Buckner and I hung out at IKEA! It was my first time and well, wasn't as glamorous as everyone thinks it is, it is just like a regular furniture store! After pday we went and saw a few of our members and investigators! As we went to go see a less active member she wasn't there, but, her non member son was home and we were able to sit down and teach him, he was really excited and asked us to come back and teach more!! Yay!!! :)

Tuesday: Was another day of finding and teaching! We saw one of our investigators M_____ he is a trip! Oh my goodness! As we were teaching him he stopped us and said pointing to me "you look like you could be a teacher" then turned to my companion and said "you look like you would be a doctor!" It was very strange and random. We ended up passing over what he said and then kept on teaching him, but he kept interrupting asking about us and saying "I am coming to Utah when you go home then stealing you away and taking you to Africa!" It was AWKWARD! But, I have learned to embrace the Awkwardness! That night we had coordination and were able to discuss those we were working with, as I said "we have 2 investigators to be baptized on the 10th of October" the Primary president said "no that isn't going to work, because that Sunday on the 11th is the primary program and your not taking my time away, so, Bishop said "No, last time you had too many people speaking, (she was the only speaker) then he said, well then you took along time (she took 5 minutes) he then paused and said...well sacrament meeting is for ordinances, and talks are for fillers, ordinances are more important! It was the best!!!!! :) :)

It wasn't really that exciting of a week,  we did finding and had lots of cancelled appointments! 

 I have learned lots and lots of stuff lately in my studies! I wanted to share a little with y'all! I have focused a lot on the atonement and faith!  I leaned this week that:

Faith is a choice!  Because of the conflicts and challenges we face in life today, we need to be aware that faith is not a free gift given without thought, desire, or effort. The Savior said, ‘Come unto me’ (Matthew 11:28) and ‘Knock, and it shall be [given] you’ (Matthew 7:7). These are action verbs--come, knock. They are choices. So, it's simple, choose faith. Choose faith over doubt, choose faith over fear, choose faith over the unknown and the unseen, and choose faith over pessimism.

Harold B Lee said "Now, if you have made mistakes, make today the beginning of a change of your lives. Turn from the thing that you have been doing that is wrong. The most important of all the commandments of God is that one that you are having the most difficulty keeping today. If it is one of dishonesty, if it is one of unchastity, if it is one of falsifying, not telling the truth, today is the day for you to work on that until you have been able to conquer that weakness. … Put that aright and then you start on the next one that is most difficult for you to keep” 

One thing that really stood out to me was in my studies today! I just love the atonement and love learning new stuff each day!!!

For all of you reading this, imagine life without our cellphone? Well, we all know that we would freak and most people will die! Also, what would life be without water? We wouldn't survive!! But the real question is...,what would life be like without the atonement? Just was much as we need water, we need the savior and the atonement! We better not and cannot take his atoning sacrifice for granted! 

Quote of the week:“The teacher said, ‘Good morning, boys, we have come to conduct school.’ They yelled and made fun at the top of their voices. ‘Now, I want a good school, but I confess that I do not know how unless you help me. Suppose we have a few rules. You tell me, and I will write them on the blackboard. “One fellow yelled, ‘No stealing!’ Another yelled, ‘On time.’ Finally, ten rules appeared on the blackboard ‘Now,’ said the teacher, ‘a law is not good unless there is a penalty attached. What shall we do with one who breaks the rules?’

‘Beat him across the back ten times without his coat on,’ came the response from the class.

That is pretty severe, boys. Are you sure that you are ready to stand by it?’ Another yelled, ‘I second the motion,’ and the teacher said, ‘All right, we will live by them! Class, come to order!’

“In a day or so, ‘Big Tom’ found that his lunch had been stolen. The thief was located--a little hungry fellow, about ten years old. ‘We have found the thief and he must be punished according to your rule--ten stripes across the back. Jim, come up here!’ the teacher said.

“The little fellow, trembling, came up slowly with a big coat fastened up to his neck and pleaded, ‘Teacher, you can hit me as hard as you like, but please, don’t take my coat off!’ 

‘Take your coat off,’ the teacher said. ‘You helped make the rules!’

‘Oh, teacher, don’t make me!’ He began to unbutton, and what did the teacher see? The boy had no shirt on, and revealed a bony little crippled body.

‘How can I whip this child?’ he thought. ‘But I must, I must do something if I am to keep this school.’ Everything was quiet as death.

‘How come you aren’t wearing a shirt, Jim?’

He replied, ‘My father died and my mother is very poor. I have only one shirt and she is washing it today, and I wore my brother’s big coat to keep me warm.’

The teacher, with rod in hand, hesitated. Just then ‘Big Tom’ jumped to his feet and said, ‘Teacher, if you don’t object, I will take Jim’s licking for him.’

‘Very well, there is a certain law that one can become a substitute for another. Are you all agreed?’                 Off came Tom’s coat, and after five strokes the rod broke! The teacher bowed his head in his hands and thought, ‘How can I finish this awful task?’ Then he heard the class sobbing, and what did he see? Little Jim had reached up and caught Tom with both arms around his neck. ‘Tom, I’m sorry that I stole your lunch, but I was awful hungry. Tom, I will love you till I die for taking my licking for me! Yes, I will love you forever!’” 

Comparing this to the Atonement, the love that Tom showed towards the little boy Jim, was very special! He loved him so much that even though he ate his food, he was still willing to be beaten for him. He sacrificed Jims pain for his own! The savior Sacrificed and delt with pain for us because he loves us unconditionally! I LOVE the savior and the love and sacrifice he has made for each of us! 

Scripture of the week: 2 Nephi Chapter 31! :D 

Truly was a good week! 
 Thanks for your prayers and love!! Have a blessed week! 

Sister McCulloch!!

No comments:

Post a Comment